List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PLEASE don't ! (Re: kdesupport: let's get rid of it, now.)
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-05-30 16:12:35

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:21, Rob Kaper wrote:

> But would prefer an approach which lets the user decide whether he/she
> wants to compile it (possibly from kdesupport) or use a binary package. By
> no means should be compile dependencies, not even by default even when the
> requirements are not met. We recommend packages but provide convenience for
> compile freaks.

I agree, but I think you're being optimistic about who needs kdesupport. I
don't consider myself a "compile freak", far from it. I actually try to avoid
compiling things as much as possible, and grab RPMs whenever possible. Yet I
had to do it when I switched to KDE, because at the time (earlly KDE2 betas)
binary packages weren't available for distribs. It's still pretty easy to be
forced to compile things nowadays.

> We're talking about people compiling from source. I agree that keeping
> kdesupport as a matter of convenience (just like we do for qt-copy) for
> those is nice, but it should be _very_ clear that kdesupport is that and
> nothing more. It's not a requirement itself nor part of KDE.

No problem with that. But as I said, more people than you think have to
compile things from source. Remember how the first KDE2 binary packages
sucked and everybody was telling people to compile from source instead.

--
Guillaume
http://www.telegraph-road.org