List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Issues about busy cursor
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-05-29 20:07:04

Dne út 29. kvìten 2001 14:34 Michael Goffioul napsal(a):
> >  Will the current startup notification system stay like _what_ ? How does
> > the new system differ from the old one, besides getting the notification
> > more often ? Well yes, and also without those few things like not working
> > very well with kfmclient/konqy or using the generic icon for K-Menu
> > started apps instead of the app icon.
>
> Eventually, having the busy cursor while printing is not a bad idea IF: 1)
> the icon used is the kjobviewer icon (fileprint.png) which is a good visual
> way to tell the user something is printing, 2) the busy cursor effectively
> disappear when kjobviewer exits. Then I would keep it as is (with maybe
> adding an empty window, I don't know).

 I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Is it that you want to get
kjobviewer busy icon, leave it visible even after kjobviewer finishes loading
and remove it only after it quits ? I think this would be abusing it, as
there is some difference between being busy with printing and starting new
app. But I have no clue about kdeprint, so maybe I misunderstood.

> However here are some results about the busy cursor with apps started using
> various ways.
>
> 1) Persistent busy cursor seems to occur with apps that execute another
> one: a shell script which uses exec, kfmclient (not OK) vs. konqueror (OK),

 Unfortunately, I'm afraid this thing can never be 100% perfect ... not even
99% , it's about finding the best way that works for most cases.

 Lubos Lunak
--
 l.lunak@email.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli