List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: exporting symbols (was Re: The goodness of goodness)
From:       Lars Knoll <knoll () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-29 13:46:09

On Tuesday 29 May 2001 15:25, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Die, 29 Mai 2001, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > So I'd rather vote for a KDE_EXPORT macro than a KDE_PRIVATE one.
>
> but Q_/KDE_EXPORT only works for whole classes, right ?

It does only work on Windows anyway at the moment.

> are private methods exported then ?

I'm not sure how Windows handles this. My proposal would be to not export
them, except when we mark them with a Q_/KDE_EXPORT.

So we only export public/protected parts of exported classes. Private members
you want to export need an additional export macro (my guess is that this
should never be needed, as I don't see a reason why you'd want to do this).

The class declaration would then look like:

class KDE_EXPORT foo {
public:
	void exported(); // these methods get exported
private:
	void notExported(); // these don't get exported
	void KDE_EXPORT exportMe();
};

Lars