List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KGesture and DCOP Interfaces
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-24 21:10:08

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:58:33PM -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > dcop konqueror "konqueror-mainwindow#1/action/back" activate
> >
> > does what you expect :-)
>
> But how do I know if I should use 'konqueror-mainwindow#1' or
> 'konqueror-mainwindow#9'? For this to work there should also be a method to
> reliably find the mainwindow based on some criteria. (But which?) Do I get
> the name of the mainwindow when I open a new one?

The createNewWindow method in KonquerorIface used to return a dcop
reference to the newly created window. But this was changed to a void
because of some weird crashes in kfmclient, IIRC.

I agree that it would be nice to have a better method for selection of the
mainwindow (better than the current one of just returning a complete list
of all windows) . Maybe a stupid idea, but: Isn't there a way to detect
the current active desktop? Then we could perhaps add a method which returns
the mainwindow on the current active desktop (and if there are multiple on the
current then maybe the topmost one) .
(I could imagine that this is a common case when trying to script it)

Bye,
 Simon