List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New UI for Pixie (I give up ;-)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-05-16 18:44:12

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 17:21, mosfet wrote:
> Seriously, I think the XV style interface
> is better but not enough people even remember XV or know of display so they
> don't know how to use it. They just want everything crammed into one big
> window...

Well, the second rule of interface building says to keep the user orientated
of where he is and how he can get where he wants to go. The former Pixie
style does not allow that. Therefor it is wrong from a UI viewpoint. Now
comes the time that new users depend on a good GUI design becuase the are not
like the first unix users that just try until it works.

> That's okay, because with KDockWidget I can still drag the image
> window out of Pixie and make it toplevel :)

:)))

> One question for all you Windows users: What does ACDSee do when you want
> to see an image full sized?

You press enter and you go to a black screen (fullscreen) and the picture is
centered on the display.
If it does not fit moving the mouse to the edge of the screen will move the
picture in the opposite direction (sort of moving your viewscreen with the
mouse) All that without the mouse buttons pressed.

> There has to be a way to see it in a new
> window. It's impossible to edit pictures when it's scaled down so much, you
> can't get an accurate selection rectangle. Does it use a separate dialog
> for all editing and seeing the thing full sized?

Don't know about editing, the last time I was on a windows system it did not
have that yet. ;) (long time ago)

> My solution right now is if you drag the image window outside of Pixie it
> goes full sized, then you can edit it from the menus.

Please make sure the aspect ratio is impossible to change, that was my main
frustration.

--
Thomas