List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What's the deal with kdedb?
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-16 13:58:51

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 May 2001 13:45, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 10:16:27AM -0400, Alessandro Praduroux wrote:
> > > and wait for QT3/KDE3.
> >
> > Just for the record, the plan is to port KDE 2.x to Qt3. There wont be a
> > KDE 3.0 for at least another year. Maintaining the 2.x platform is critical
> > for KDE now. So we might have a stable KDE 2.X based on Qt3 in fall 2001.
> >
> > Matthias
>
> According to our versioning-scheme a KDE 2.x based on QT3 _IS_
> KDE3 because shifts of the major version number happen as soon
> as KDE becomes binary-incompatible.
>
> Except for that I agree with you of course ;)
>
> Greetings,
> Tackat

FYI: GCC 3.0 is due to June, 15th. This will break BC anyway together
with Qt 3.0. Result: KDE 2.2 is likely to be the last release as the
distributors are likely to switch to gcc 3.0 for versions of their
distro coming out in fall. We're probably forced to go with KDE 3.0 for
September/December, as much as we like to have a meeting before. I think
this needs to be discussed really soon to make a schedule and decide
which way to go. The name KDE 3.0 because of BC is correct though, just
the timeframe needs to be shorter now that these issues come up.

Concerning kdedb, I'd go with Pradu to remove it. If it's really *only*
the io-slave that isn't used now anyway (and which can be ported to the
qdb thing I assume) I would vote for removing it, especially as even the
KDE 2.0 libs were meant to be *less* overhead than the 1.x libs, but
these are becoming bigger and bigger. The unsure maintenance is another
reason to drop it IMHO.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org