List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: taskbar grouping, off by default please.
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-16 3:02:49

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 04:06, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> > Leave the current taskbar grouping on by default, please. The
> > current implementation is highy productive. (I know because I'm
> > highly productive). :P
>
> It *is* handy once you learned it.. but I don't think it should be on
> by default.  It's just too different.  When the change first happened,

When the change first happened it was implemented in a
a way that made it unclear to the user what happened. During the first
week the user _had_ to click the taskbar for 2 secs to find out
where his "crashing" tasks have gone ...
Now the user sees at least once  he presses the taskbar at all
where his tasks have gone. I think that's obvious enough ...

> my wife ended up starting something like 40 konsoles thinking that
> they kept crashing when she minimized them.  Even after a week, she
> still hasn't gotten used to it.  It's definitely *not* intuitive or
> what people would be used to.

Well, let's have it on by default for the Beta1 and see what the wider
feedback of the users is. Also I'd like to know whether Gnome and
Windows XP will have it on by default too (if they do I'd strongly suggest to
leave it on by default as well).

My personal concern is that KDE isn't doing itself a favour with switching
off  all features in general. On Cebit and several other shows things like
Alphablending and the thumbnail preview where new to even around 60-70%
of all longterm KDE 2-users I met there.
Judging from the screenshots on kde.themes.org there are about 90% of
people who don't enable alphablending e.g. although it  would improve their
screenshots quite a bit. Obviously they didn't know that this feature
exists/was turned off by default.
While I'm not for switching all features on by default as well I really feel
saddened by the fact that most people don't know what things konqueror _can_
do if properly configured.
It's funny that a lot of people don't expect that konqueror can do certain
tasks if they are disabled by default.

Greetings,
Tackat