List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Default KDE address book
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-05-11 15:49:07

There was a meeting on Tuesday with Rik H., Don S., Cornelius S. and Eug
(our Aethera programmer) on the new enhancements to KAB that Rik has been
working on and using LDAP and a variety of issues.  We have a new release
of Aethera coming in a couple of weeks that we hope to have working with
the new KAB.  We will also be migrating Kapital to this as well.

At 08:41 AM 5/11/2001, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I think it is time to agree on a default address book frontend for KDE. We
>got bad reviews from journalists (see recent c't article on KMail) that are
>not able to find our modern address book frontends. Only a small percentage
>of our users seem to know that modern address book frontends for KDE exist.
>
>In my opinion the main reason for this disappointing situation is KMails
>default address book setting.
>
>KMail users can choose from four different address book frontends:
>
>- Traditional KMail
>- Traditional KMail using the KAB backend
>- KAB
>- Abbrowser
>
>The problem is that many users don't know about this setting hidden deep in
>the KMail configuration dialog. Even journalists fail to notice it with the
>consequence of bad reviews because of the default "Traditional KMail" address
>book interface.
>
>IMHO it is embarrasing to ship KMail with "Traditional KMail" enabled as
>default address book frontend.
>
>I propose to:
>
>- move abbrowser from kdepim to a central kde module like kdebase
>- get rid of the classic kab frontend in kdeutils
>- make abbrowser the default frontend for KMail
>
>Greetings,
>Matthias

Regards,

Shawn Gordon