List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Default KDE address book
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2001-05-11 15:41:32

Hi

I think it is time to agree on a default address book frontend for KDE. We
got bad reviews from journalists (see recent c't article on KMail) that are
not able to find our modern address book frontends. Only a small percentage
of our users seem to know that modern address book frontends for KDE exist.

In my opinion the main reason for this disappointing situation is KMails
default address book setting.

KMail users can choose from four different address book frontends:

- Traditional KMail
- Traditional KMail using the KAB backend
- KAB
- Abbrowser

The problem is that many users don't know about this setting hidden deep in
the KMail configuration dialog. Even journalists fail to notice it with the
consequence of bad reviews because of the default "Traditional KMail" address
book interface.

IMHO it is embarrasing to ship KMail with "Traditional KMail" enabled as
default address book frontend.

I propose to:

- move abbrowser from kdepim to a central kde module like kdebase
- get rid of the classic kab frontend in kdeutils
- make abbrowser the default frontend for KMail

Greetings,
Matthias