List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n of icons
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-10 6:11:49

On Wed, 9 May 2001 20:05:28 +0100, Luis Coelho wrote:

>I hate having to rewire my brain every time I
>switch from an english PC with MS-Word to one in Portuguese. I can handle the
>fact that the messages are different well, but I keep missing the shortcuts.
>CTRL+S doesn't save and CRTL+O doesn't open (it makes some dialog jump in my
>face). I really hate that and it totally defeats the point of having
>shortcuts in the first place.
>At the school I went to we had MS-Word in English, Portuguese and German all
>sitting next to each other, so just moving one place meant that you would
>start missing shortcuts. Often you only noticed that the language had changed
>when you had pressed CTRL+O three times and the open-file-dialog hadn't
>appeared.
>
>Not that this issue has an easy solution. I have thought often about it, and
>the only way out is to make everyone speak English and stop worrying about
>this sort of stuff.

From a user perspective it would probably help

*  if there were individual "profiles" available: in MS Word you can
select that the program should work analogous to WordPerfect, in
Ventura Publisher you can select that the program should function
similar to Quark XPress etc. Maybe some users would appreciate a
setting like "use original shortcuts" at least for the KOffice
programs?

*  if the language for KDE programs could be set on an individual basis
via a standard menu entry (I know: you can already do this via the
config files or a start parameter in Konsole, but I'm talking about
ordinary users).

Regards,

Thomas

---