List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeutils cleanup
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-09 15:21:11

On Mit, 09 Mai 2001, Matthias Elter wrote:

> > Hmm, probably I'm the only one that still uses kpm ;-)
> If you are the only one then I think we should move it out of the base
> distribution.

Yeah, thanks :-)

KSysguard has several disadantages:

- Its slow as hell. When you ever saw your machine swapping and tried to
  start up ksysguard you know it was the last time. when my machine has no
  load it needs about 30 seconds to start up. multiply that by 10 when the
  machine went mad. Given that you have enough swap the machine swapped to
  death already before ksysguard has a chance to appear on screen.

- its extremely complicated to use. I don't find this drag+drop stuff
  intuitive.

- It does not provide as much information on small screen space as kpm. Look
  at it, you see everything necessary in a window that is maybe 1/8 of
  total screen size. I actually don't want to have a "system monitor" be my
  main application, so at best it shouldn`t take up any screenspace.

Thats btw why I prefer about ktimemon. its extremely small and you see
everything you need to know with one look at it, plus it virtually takes up
no system resources.

when I see ksysguard refreshing its process list (it never shows the
complete list btw, it only shows either 1 process at the beginning or 5
processes at the end) and taking about 25% cpu I still prefer top or
killall.

Dirk