List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Beginner/Default/Advanced GUI (was Re: i18n of icons)
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 10:43:29

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 01:07:55PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > ./configure --use-defaults=advanced (or beginner, or default)
>
> I'm sorry, this makes no sense. Think about binary packages. Are we going
> to ship different versions of the KDE rpms, compiled with different
> settings there ? No no.

Nevermind, you're right. Distributors can make those changes themselves,
they don't need KDE to come with configure options.

> This idea comes up now and then. But I still think it's a bad bad idea. If
> I'm looking for a setting and I don't find it.... does that mean it's not
> implemented or that I'm not looking at the "right level" of user ? This
> means, for anything you're looking for, you always have to switch your
> level in case it would be hidden from you in your current level. Argl. Who
> was talking about support ? This doesn't help.
>
> The idea of kwelcome asking for the basic options at the first startup
> still makes much sense imho. But hiding things to the "beginner" user
> _is_ dumbing down - which is what you stated you were against, at the
> beginning of your post !

It is dumbing down by request and not by force, which makes a big
difference.

Okay, we should not hide any configuration options or settings at all, then.
See my dismay over some panel configs having dissapeared from the GUI; if an
option is important enough to be in the code at all, then it's important
enough to be in the config GUI. We cannot expect from (even advanced) users
to change a config file manually.

However, we do not want to throw too much configuration option at the
average user either.

Would it be a good idea to:

- write a Kate based config file editing plugin,
- make configuration GUIs easier and have a button to "edit manually" for
  advanced configuration options,
- save all default/current values to the config file before going into the
  plugin to make sure all options are in the file with default values,
- add a *mandatory* extra QString to KConfig::save() with a description
  field to make sure that every group and option in the config file is
  more or less documented.

This way you can keep the GUI configuration simple and easy without hiding
advanced options without needing a GUI for advanced options at all. One can
still edit the files manually and one has the benefit that the Kate plugin
will do this in a nice KDE way and ensures that all possible options are
within the file.

I guess we *can* expect advanced users to change the config file manually if
we give him/her the right tool to do so.

I've got some work to do. Even if it's nothing for kdebase, I'd like to have
a KConfig editing tool for personal use. Yes.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'What? In riddles?' said Gandalf. 'No! For I was talking
cap@capsi.com | aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest