List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Mike Richardson <mike () quaking ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-05-08 12:26:28

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 13:09, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> Dne út 8. kvìten 2001 13:31 Ralf Nolden napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > out of experience (from this internet cafe here running with KDE 2.1.1)
> > the users are *not* capable of understanding that starting applications
> > may take some time. The result is that they click on the konqueror or
> > netscape icon 5 or more times which slows down the machines (diskless
> > clients) even more. So what is needed besides the taskbar start
> > notification is to also set the cursor to wait cursor. A new hourglass
> > cursor with a pointer a la windoze would be the best option, this one
> > can be black and white so this shouldn't be a problem to do actually.
> > But changing the cursor is *very* crucial.
> >
> > Ralf
>
>  This is going to be a little problem, since AFAIK all widgets may specify
> their cursor and it can't be globally overriden. And I don't think that
> changing the cursor is the only and best way of doing it. It can be easily
> made that you get a little splashscreen for every app as a startup
> notification, or you can even write an app that will do 'beep beep'
> everytime you start Konqy or Netscape.
>  Just writing an applet which would
>     connectDCOPSignal(0, 0,
> "clientStarted(QString,QString,pid_t,QString,bool,int)",
> "clientStarted(QString,QString,pid_t,QString,bool,int)", false);
> and do whatever you want in its clientStarted() should be enough for now.
> But if you want to make any changes, please tell me. I'm currently
> rewriting the code a bit ( see my other mails ).

Just a thougt, what about an (global?) option along the lines of "having
started app X ignore further start requests until the app is 'running'". I
think it would be Ok to limit this, maybe to requests originating from the
"desktop" (eg, if you do alt-f2 cmd, alt-f2 cmd, quickly then you get two).

????
Regards
Mike

--