List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Configure tool
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-05 21:29:12

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 02:15:33PM -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:11:47PM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:
>
> > Oh yes, now that you mention it. Go tell them. I'm sure they just don't
> > realize.
>
> Well that's why I don't use em :)
>
> Honestly, my config files are very easy to manage for the most part.
>
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf is the master one, and is updated any time I run
> mergemaster to bring in new changes.
>
> Any custom settings I want to make get kept in /etc/rc.conf, and get left
> alone by mergemaster.
>
> Then again, I don't have to deal with many incompatible changes anyhow.
> So yes, if {SuSE,*} keeps breaking config tools with each release, they're
> broken.

I bet they don't do so, but they have probably put quite some amount of money
into developing their configuration software, and dumping that software just
right away in favour of something new, something that would also be new to the
users (who got used to the existing tools from DistXZY) is probably not
something the dists are going to do right away. (not to mention that it costs
money in addition to train the support to the new configuration frontends)

Bye,
 Simon