List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Configure tool
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-05-05 21:17:28

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:09:09PM +0200, Matthias Elter wrote:

> Distributors like Redhat, Mandrake or SuSE support more than one desktop
> environment. This situation is not likely to change in the near future. They
> will not adopt configuration tools that are integrated into KDE. Caldera can
> provide native kcontrol modules because of their KDE only strategy. And a
> standalone design wont help you much as it would still require most of
> kdelibs in memory and a running dcopserver, kded and what not.

Maybe it's a good time to start supporting the open package thingy that's
been floating around for a while.  It's got support from all the BSD
committers, and I think some Leenuchs users as well.

FWIW, the pipe dream of a ports tree rewrite will be done in C++ with
ncurses and Qt front ends.  Or so sayeth JKH who's spent quite a bit of $$
so far on it.  Just something to chew on.

- alex