List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Configure tool
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-05 18:30:26

On Saturday 05 May 2001 09:01 am, Matthias Elter wrote:

> > > Those few different setups? Don't kid yourself.
> >
> > Okay, maybe I shouldn't have added that sarcasm. But I still think that
> > if we can maintain all the KPP stuff, we can also find the people willing
> > to write distribution specific stuff.
>
> cvs checkout kdeadmin.
>
> Have a look into that module. Mostly unmaintained and unuseable.
> Distribution independent? Try some kdeadmin modules on the latest Caldera,
> SuSE or Redhat. I don't see people willing to wirte distribution
> independent configuration tools. And you need lots of people for the shiny
> goal you have in mind.
That's why we only support the platforms we personally like, then we try to
convince more distros to help us support theirs.  Some day, with any hope,
they'll figure out it's to their best benefit to create their own backend.

And of course they won't figure it out, because rarely do distros know what
to do best.  I think following the LSB was everyone's first mistake :)

--
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>
K Desktop Environment