List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-01 16:56:55

On Die, 01 Mai 2001, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> I really doubt the average developer is able to look through an
> automake-generated Makefile and find an error in "a matter of minutes".

you look into Makefile.am of course ;-)

> the rebuild compilation time and you're already talking hours. And asking the
> one to blame to fix his commits won't work either, because by the time you
> trace the problem back to him, he might be asleep, or gone on vacation.

writing a mail could help. even within minutes most of the time ;-)

> > And all what the others say is that when you can't stand the Bazaar, you
> > should go back hiding in the cathedral.
> Come on :-). No successful project has people committing at random all over
> the place without some sort of discipline and cautiousness. I've always been
> amazed by how well KDE is doing on that side, and how few of these problems
> there was.

This wasn't a random commit by a beginner, but still everybody is only
human. you can not avoid that, even with an ACL, because then I'll break
kdelibs compilation inside khtml another time and you can start crying again
;-)

> > By the inclusion of kivio in koffice not only the koffice team has to
> > accept the kivio team's rules, but also vice versa.
> I agree, but I don't suppose koffice team's rules include modifiying a build
> without asking the apps maintainer first.

Sorry, but somebody has to do the dirty job. if you constantly ask everybody
before doing anything, you end up with doing nothing. With the same
reasoning theKompany developers ask for not having to waste their time with
things that are unfixable for them its the same for the others who waste
their _free_ time on this project to help them as well by not putting any
more stones into their way than necessary!

Anyway, the ACL is gone and the built problems are fixed so lets go on doing
more something more productive.

Dirk