List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-05-01 14:05:45

At 07:11 AM 5/1/2001, you wrote:
>On Monday 30 April 2001 21:23, Ben Burton wrote:
> > Hi.  I've written this to a mailing list and to a kivio developer but
> nobody
> > has conformed or denied my suspicions.  Basically I believe the reason the
> > connector tool is no longer working is because libkiviopart.so is no
> longer
> > directly linked to /usr/bin/kivio; instead it is being dlopened and as a
> > result straight_connector.ksp can no longer find symbols it needs from
> > libkiviopart.so.
>
>It seems you are correct - this matches Waldo's findings too,
>and explains why the change happened recently: when we removed
>the link from the binary to the part (which was quite an ugly
>design, the code being both linked to and dlopened).
>
>Shawn: there you go. The fix is to either make the binary link the
>part again, or the plugins link the part, or better, follow Waldo's
>suggestion.
>
>An ACL really doesn't help here. It's Werner and I who made this change
>to all koffice apps, anyway :P

Well here is a reason to use ACL.  6 days ago M. Laurant removed several of
our icons and put them in koffice/pics, which I would imagine would be fine
if they were actually there, but they aren't, so now we had to spend the
time to find the problem, and reverse it which would have been better spent
on fixing the embedding problem.  It's 3 icons, fillcolor, textcolor,
pencolor, and I have no idea why someone would take them out of our
application.

At the same time M. Laurant also took all of our libraries in tklib
(thekompany library) and moved them to kofficeui.  None of this was
discussed with us, and this is a rather major modification.  We are the
project maintainers, and having the wholesale dispersal of our code without
even a "hey, guess what I'm doing" at the same time as the beta for KOffice
is outrageous.  This is causing us an enormous amount of extra work, and I
would dearly love the courtesy shown other project maintainers.

>--
>David FAURE, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org
>http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/
>KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com