List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    The KDE Installer
From:       Nick Betcher <nbetcher () usinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-04-27 3:43:40

Hi everyone,
	I just wanted to post a email here because I felt that many of the core
developers might not know about the KDE Installer, and even if they do, they
might not know the status of it. The point of this email is to bring everyone
up on speed. Below are the details of what the installer can currently do:

	* Read _ALL_ package information from an XML file (config file API is
provided by Neil Steven's KProfile since KConfig is larger). This includes
package description, package name, package list, and more. What does this
mean? The KDE Installer won't just install KDE, it will be able to install
anything that the user feeds it. What will its 'feed' be? The XML file.
<notdoneyet>Just D&D the XML file into a certain spot, and BOOM, the
installer reads it and modifys its availible packages, mirrors, and files
</notdoneyet>.

	* Provide a list of availible mirrors in which the user can select. The
mirror selection page even has ping times so that the user can tell what
location they are closer to (doesnt mean it will be faster).

	* Downloads the user selected packages from the mirror. Even has kb/sec
indicator.

	* Saves the packages the user previously selected in the last session.

	* Tons more. Check it out.

	But... here is the bad news. I havn't been able to get anyone to really help
me out at least for a little bit on it. Why is this a problem you ask? Well,
its a problem since I will be starting a full time job on June 19th and as of
now, I am busy with school, part time job, and now (started this Tuesday) I
am taking driver's ed (shh! Laugh all ya want, punk :) ). I bearly have
enough time to sleep.

	If anyone is willing to help, PLEASE... cvs co kdenonbeta/kdeinstaller and
start helping. I'm not sure if everyone has read that article KrazyKiwi and
others have in where a developer expresses his feelings. He goes into detail
about how his project development went and also makes a point that every
developer that wanted to help needed their hand held. I don't have enough
time to do that unfortunatly, and as he said, those people were the least
productive. So, what I'm saying is, if your going to help, HELP. Please don't
emailing me about all the details. I just recently added VERY detailed
comments throughout most my code.

	I would appreciate if this discussion stayed on the development topic and
not drift into those controversial subjects. If it does, so be it.

		Thanks,
			Nick Betcher (AKA Error403 -> irc.openprojects.net)