List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Apps startup wrapper ( was: Re: Hi - Why we don't use kdeinit_wrapper normal ?)
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-04-27 6:10:27

Dne pá 27. duben 2001 05:18 Waldo Bastian napsal(a):
> On Thursday 26 April 2001 16:12, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > #if Lubos Lunak
> >
> > >  Now, a kcontrol module ( or whatever ) is started and it searches all
> > > executables in $PATH if it makes sense to use a wrapper for them (
> > > well, basically something like 'if ldd $1 | grep libX11.so.6' ). It
> > > will also search its database for exceptions ( e.g. it doesn't make
> > > sense to use it for xdpyinfo even though it's linked against libX11,
> > > the user probably doesn't ant to use it for some apps, and some apps
> > > don't set properly their flags used for app-start notification (
> > > Netscape and WM_CLASS ... blah blah blah ).
> >
> > Hmm, app-start notification works for netscape.

 Yes, of course it does. One doesn't usually start several apps at the same
time that set WM_CLASS to non-standard value. And moreover it doesn't hurt
much if all startup buttons from taskbar are removed if such app is started.
So what I wrote about the flags for app-start notification is probably not
needed.

> > Rik
>
> Oh.. while we are at that... can we also get
> "start-on-the-desktop-that-it-was-launched-from"? I often find myself
> waiting for an application to launch so that I can switch to another
> desktop afterwards.

 That's what I meant with start_on_current_desktop. Starting an app on the
desktop that's active when the first app's window appears doesn't need any
voodoo magic :).

> Cheers,
> Waldo

 Lubos Lunak