List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Future of DCOP
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-20 17:15:25

On Thursday 19 April 2001 10:25, Karel Gardas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why don't use MICO and its future CCM implementation for KDE 3.0 ? It'll
> brings standard component model + CORBA communications over IIOP.

I don't see a need for this at this point. We have DCOP for communication on
the desktop and that works very well.

I can see a role for things like CCM in an enterprise application-server
setting but given the number of middleware solutions in this area I don't
think KDE should be tied to a single one exclusively.

Maybe if you can explain how CCM, XMLRPC, SOAP, SOUP, Java, JavaBeans, SASH
and .NET relate to each other and why it is important that CCM is integrated
in the desktop environment? For what things should be it be used? Can you
give me actual examples of its use?

Cheers,
Waldo
--