List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: Moving the "Information" module from the control panel
From:       Cullmann Christoph <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2001-04-10 13:14:29

Am Dienstag, 10. April 2001 14:36 schrieb Michael Jarrett:
> Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > It seems that I am in the mood to propose things today :)  Anyways,  I
> > wanted to float the idea of moving out the whole information section in
> > the control panel into its own dialog box that I discussed on IRC with
> > David.  The reasoin I suggested this was that IMHO the control panel is
> > usually associated with a place where one makes modifications and changes
> > to affect/control behavior of desktop and related application.  Though
> > the information tab might provide information necessary in accomplishing
> > that under some circumstances, it is not an essential aspect to make such
> > changes.
> >
> > My idea hence is to move the information module into its own application,
> > something like ksysinfo and place it under Utilities
> > (K->Utilities->System Information).  This can then be used to relay as
> > much information about the system as desired.
>
> YAY!
> I have been suggesting this for awhile. It sounds like a good idea,
> especially considering the sheer wealth of information that is (and
> potentially could be) displayed.
Why removing the stuff ? K, it isn't very useful at the moment but the
control center should be the CENTRAL place in kde for all system
settings/info/managment ! (in my eyes). The users love windows 2000 managment
console (or better: the most people using 2000 and really working with their
system likes it). KDE should have such a central place too (and control
center is allready such a place). Therefor I don'T like the idea of removing
the information stuff (but nothing against a redesign or a more useful
implementation (like some settings for X instead of only a information).

cu
Christoph