List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KProtocolManager change proposal
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-09 23:31:10

Hi,

There was a discussion a while back about applications wanting the ability to store \
their own IO-related settings that is currently handled by KProtocolManager for every \
application that uses it.  This is an idea/proposal that is intended to allow for \
that without breaking BC.

My idea is to create two distinct new singleton classes KROProtocolManager and \
KRWProtocolManager KRWProtocolManager would inherit from KROProtocolManager and with \
the additional ability to specify your own config file, ex: setConfigObject(const \
KConfig* ).  KProtocolManager then can create one instance of KRWProtocolManager to \
allow manipulation of the global settings.

I see two advantages with doing this. The first is the obvious reason that app \
developers needed to keep or manipulate their own settings without having to dup the \
code in kprotocolmanager.   The  second reason is that these settings would be of the \
same value so sharing such settings between applications as necessary would be a \
trivial task.  It would also allow application that want to only read the global \
information to obtain an instance of KROProtocolManager and do not worry about the \
rest of the baggage...

Comments, opinions, ideas ?

Regards,
Dawit A.