List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: External actions proposal
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-09 21:28:38

On Monday 09 April 2001 15:12, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Monday 09 April 2001 14:43, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> > > So, I feel there is a need to take DCOP to the next level.
> >
> > Yes, I agree.
> >
> > > Now, imagine that before building the UI from the XML files, you
> > > contact this repository, and get a list of actions, each action being a
> > > call to one such script.
> >
> > What about adding actions to the XML file that refer to a script? I don't
> > like the "contact this repository" part, cause that adds startup delay.
>
> Yes, that's the idea. The repository is a local thing, I know I made it
> sound like an internet thing :-)

I wasn't clear. I don't like the "contact this repository" part if that adds
anything like connecting to another process, stating a file, reading a file,
listing a directory or a combination of those things. E.g. it should be a
solution that hooks into one of the too many files that we read already.

For example the XML file that describes the UI, but I guess the kdeglobal
config file, or the application specific config file would be fine as well.
(Since we read those already anyway)

Cheers,
Waldo
--