List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    External actions proposal
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2001-04-09 21:43:46

Hello,

Since a couple of days, I have been imbebing myself in DCOP, and I have to
say it's totally awesome :-)

So, I feel there is a need to take DCOP to the next level.

Right now, you can script your apps. But that's not enough. Because you
can not really EXTEND your apps.

How about this.

Imagine a repository of scripts that use DCOP interfaces. Those scripts
are indexed according to where they fit. I don't quite understand how,
yet, but in the crudest way, imagine "scripts for konqueror", "scripts for
kant" and so on.

Now, imagine that before building the UI from the XML files, you contact
this repository, and get a list of actions, each action being a call to
one such script.

This makes those actions available to the UI builder, can make them appear
as entries in the menus, as buttons in the toolbars.

This lets the user/programmer EXTEND the apps without having to rebuild
them.

This lets writing proof-of-concept features simpler, and they later can be
incorporated in the app.

This, really, doesn't seem all that hard to do, and I'm volunteering ;-)

Of course before doing it, I want to hear any feedback you may have.
For example, I don't really know how long this may take. To what version
of KDE should I aim? 2.2? 2.3? 3.0 ;-)

Am I missing something that makes it impossible?

Am I missing something that makes it very very easy? ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director t=E9cnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)