List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QDom as an alternative to KConfig?
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-04-03 15:52:53

On Tuesday 03 April 2001 02:21, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Hmm, we can't cache kdeglobals since it's behind all the KConfigs we
> > read...
>
> Well, we could still cache it somehow. But again, caching a single file is
> hardly worth it. Whether you need to process "kdeglobals" or
> "kdeglobals.cache" makes little difference I'm afraid.
>
> > "kdebugrc" would only speed things up for developers.
> > And you seem to save that the icon themes don't make a difference.
>
> Well, I think the icon themes have the largest potential benefits.
>
> > It seems this good idea doesn't apply to many files :(
>
> We already use it for those file to which it applies :-]
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

Well, as I said before, on my system (K6/200) parsing a single config files
takes approx. 0.01 seconds, I think this is fast. If we save for let's say
three files 0.005 seconds, we gain 0.015 seconds on app startup and have more
code. I don't think that's worth it.

But there is still a problem with the icon theme index.desktop files, since
some apps parse these files without need several times on startup. It would
be good if this would be in some way static so they have to be parsed only
once.

Bye
Alex