List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QDom as an alternative to KConfig?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-03 0:21:33

On Monday 02 April 2001 12:49, David Faure wrote:
> > The main problem is our high level of configurability. We check many
> > places for files and we can't cache them all since they depend on factors
> > like the local weather (Well, almost).
> >
> > We might be able to do something that helps the common case though.
>
> What's the difference between resourceDirs("services") - which kded already
> "monitors" - and locate("config","kstylerc") ?

I was talking about the icon loader. The icon loader looks in many
interesting places. I don't think "kstylerc" is a big problem.

> Hmm, we can't cache kdeglobals since it's behind all the KConfigs we
> read...

Well, we could still cache it somehow. But again, caching a single file is
hardly worth it. Whether you need to process "kdeglobals" or
"kdeglobals.cache" makes little difference I'm afraid.

> "kdebugrc" would only speed things up for developers.
> And you seem to save that the icon themes don't make a difference.

Well, I think the icon themes have the largest potential benefits.

> It seems this good idea doesn't apply to many files :(

We already use it for those file to which it applies :-]

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com