List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDB UI
From:       Mike Richardson <mike () quaking ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-29 12:36:56

As part of work on Rekall (theKompany's forthcoming database) I've been
having a look at the KDE-DB UI code (control panel stuff et al) and I think
there is a significant flaw in the way it allows the user to set up
connections. Any feeback from anyone whose been involved gratefully received.

Currently, the user specifiies a database type (mysql, ....), a host, a user
name and a password. The UI code verifies that a connection can be made to
the server; under control panel thats pretty well it, under Rekall the user
sees a list of databases on that server.

I would like to be able to name a connection to a particular database, ie a
name maps to db type, host, username, password _and_ database. This means
that an app like Rekall can just open a database by name; if the database is
moved, all that has to be changed is a control panel setting. But with the
current setup, this cannot be done, since the best that can be done is name a
server connection.

Before I dive in with two right feet, any comments?

Mike

--
mike@quaking.demon.co.uk
http://www.quaking.demon.co.uk