List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2beta1
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-28 11:52:27

On Wednesday 28 March 2001 12:41, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > > The other one (lpdunix) is a generic lp/lpr plugin that provide the same
> > > support as Qt printing. This plugin won't provide any printer management,
> > > but will allow to print on any system using either lp or lpr. It can be used
> > > as a "default" plugin. It currently supports: Linux/LPR, Solaris, HP-UX
> > > and IRIX-6.x. I'm missing informations for LPRng and AIX systems. I
> > > made a request on the kde-devel list, but didnt' any answer.
> > > This generic plugin has been commited yesterday, so it needs testing on
> > > various supported systems. But it works for Linux/LPR.
> >
> > This sounds good. Does that mean that all KDE apps should be ported
> > to use KPrinter instead of QPrinter now ? A powerful printing framework
> > is a bit useless if no application uses it ;-)
>
> This generic lp plugin is made to provide at least the same features as in Qt,
> This means: the same supported print systems, as well as the same printing
> options (actually, color mode and page size). So using the new print architecture
> with this generic plugin should be the same as using the normal Qt mechanism,
> on a feature point of view. Of course using a more specialized plugin (like the
> CUPS plugin) provides also printer management and a wider control on print
> options.
Yes - that sounds all very good.

> But before porting, it should be extensively tested on various systems. I didn't
> hear yet of any developer who tested the new print framework.

Right, but there's no best way to get testing than to enable the stuff in CVS ;-)
That's the whole point of CVS :)

Maybe port one or two apps - say, kedit and/or kant, and kview, to see
the things to be aware of when porting (even if it's only s/QPrinter/KPrinter/
there are at least #includes and LDADDs to fix), and to make it easier for
developers and "bleeding-edge users" to test.

Get the ball rolling, and tests, missing modules, and other ports will arrive faster.

Just my two cents.