On Wednesday 28 March 2001 12:41, Michael Goffioul wrote: > > > The other one (lpdunix) is a generic lp/lpr plugin that provide the same > > > support as Qt printing. This plugin won't provide any printer management, > > > but will allow to print on any system using either lp or lpr. It can be used > > > as a "default" plugin. It currently supports: Linux/LPR, Solaris, HP-UX > > > and IRIX-6.x. I'm missing informations for LPRng and AIX systems. I > > > made a request on the kde-devel list, but didnt' any answer. > > > This generic plugin has been commited yesterday, so it needs testing on > > > various supported systems. But it works for Linux/LPR. > > > > This sounds good. Does that mean that all KDE apps should be ported > > to use KPrinter instead of QPrinter now ? A powerful printing framework > > is a bit useless if no application uses it ;-) > > This generic lp plugin is made to provide at least the same features as in Qt, > This means: the same supported print systems, as well as the same printing > options (actually, color mode and page size). So using the new print architecture > with this generic plugin should be the same as using the normal Qt mechanism, > on a feature point of view. Of course using a more specialized plugin (like the > CUPS plugin) provides also printer management and a wider control on print > options. Yes - that sounds all very good. > But before porting, it should be extensively tested on various systems. I didn't > hear yet of any developer who tested the new print framework. Right, but there's no best way to get testing than to enable the stuff in CVS ;-) That's the whole point of CVS :) Maybe port one or two apps - say, kedit and/or kant, and kview, to see the things to be aware of when porting (even if it's only s/QPrinter/KPrinter/ there are at least #includes and LDADDs to fix), and to make it easier for developers and "bleeding-edge users" to test. Get the ball rolling, and tests, missing modules, and other ports will arrive faster. Just my two cents. -- David FAURE, david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/ KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today