List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE-DB enabled in CVS
From:       Mike Richardson <mike () quaking ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-28 8:31:20

My first post to kde-core-devel, hope this is OK:)

On Wednesday 28 March 2001 08:22, Alessandro Praduroux wrote:
> Seems that some mail has been lost tonight...
>

> Hi all,
>
> I've just enabled the compilation of KDE-DB in kdelibs CVS.
>
> I've updated it to make BC-aware, and it actually works AFAIK ;).
>
> The MySQL plugin is the most complete, but also the Postgres one works.
> Other plugins are more than welcome.

I have a partially working plugin for XBase files. This needs two extra
libraries, libxbase (http://www.startech.keller.tx.us/xbase.html) and xbsql
(http://www.quaking.demon.co.uk/xbsql.html).

Is there a policy on this sort of requirement? Clearly the MySQL plugin needs
MySQL but you'd hardly bundle that into KDE :-) But the XBase plugin gives
database access with no extra user setup. xbsql could be bundled up in the
plugin, but what about libxbase?

> Some code using KDE-DB is scattered across KDE CVS:
>
> - /kdebase/kcontrol/kdedb: configuration of connections and plugins
> - /kdebase/kioslave/sql: browse databases and tables, produce Kugar reports
> (needs some enhancements)
> - /kdenonbeta/kdbbrowser: a very simple db browser, still unfinished, in
> the future can be moved to kdeutils maybe.
>
> I'm open to any question and bug report ;)

Primary key support!

Regards
Mike

--