List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Part loading where mimetype won't work and KIO filters.
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-27 18:26:09

On Tuesday 27 March 2001 15:19, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> 1.
>
> I'd like to have a KPart loaded when audiocd:/ is requested. I can't
> do this based on mimetype because audiocd:/ has a type of 'directory'.

Well, what about giving it another mimetype then ?
That is, if you never want the directory views to show up for it.
If you do (but want the special KPart to be default), then you could
emulate the presence of a .directory under audiocd:/. Tricky but
it should work :)

> Is there a way to load a part based on URL ?
That's what the mimetype of the URL is for :)

> The other tricky part is that the part must not be loaded if a filename
> is specified, e.g. audiocd:/track01.wav
That's why it's up to the ioslave to return the right mimetype
for the right URL. We can't just base this on a protocol.

> 2.
>
> KIO's filter mechanism seems to be designed specifically for
> decompression of specific mimetypes.
>
> I'd like to compress data, but the codec is selected by the
> user and obviously I don't want it to be used every time they
> try to open a WAV file.
>
> Any ideas ?

Currently the filter mechanism is never applied automatically.
It's only used by kio_tar at the moment.
So if you associate a filter with audio/wav, it won't do anything
to normal konqueror usage - for the moment. We'll simply have
to take into account, when integrating filters into konqueror, the
fact that some filters should be automatically applied (gunzip/bunzip2)
and some not. Probably a flag in the filter desktop file would do ?