List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kcontrol patch #4 - Icon View Mode
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-26 22:16:21

Am Dienstag 27 März 2001 00:02 schrieb David Faure:
> On Monday 26 March 2001 22:52, Carlo Robazza wrote:
> > Patch #4
> > ------
> >
> > I removed the View menu thereby removing the Icon view mode. The icon
> > view mode was found to be unintuitive.
>
> Did you take Accessibility into account for that study ?
> Icons, especially with a configurable size as is the case in KControl,
> provide much bigger objects than the small listview items.

I absolutely agree. The large icons are there for a reason. Visually implaired
people for example have to rely on large icons.

Also, I don't see why that view should be removed as it is only there as an
alternative. If they don't like it, the shouldn't touch it or set it back to
tree mode.

> PS: I especially disagree with #2, the embedded search is very handy.

Again, I can only second that. I hate having floating windows everywhere
around. The tabbed placement allowed to have them accessable very easily and
so far I saw nobody having problem with the tabs.

> Unsure about #1 and don't understand #5, but I'll let other comment on
> those :)

I don't think that #1 is a good idea (see my statement above). When it comes
to #5, I agree that this is nice to have but more for eyecandy dept.
When you committed the patch last time (someone reverted it immediatly), I
noticed that this had immense redraw bugs.

As statet in a former mail that got lost somehow, I'd suggest using khtml now
as we do everywhere else when it comes to info screens. KControl just used
another solution due to messagefreeze IIRC.

</daniel>

--
KDE 2 - Conquer your Desktop!
http://www.kde.org