List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Future of DCOP
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-26 12:33:19

On Mon, 26 Mär 2001, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> Given that MCOP is meant for multimedia and that we eventually will have to
> or want to utilize ORBit anyway in the future for all kinds of desktop
> cooperation (accessability, session management (XSMP over ORBit rather than
> ICE), network directory services, ...), I'd like to evaluate porting DCOP
> over to ORBit as underlying communication layer.

what advantages has orbit on the technical side over ICE ? I mean, does it
use a faster way of interprocess communication than sockets / pipes ? does
it use less memory ? will the dcopserver process be obsolete then and be
replaced by orbit ?

Is orbit useable without having to use the CORBA marshalling ?

will it be possible to easily integrate the qt <-> CORBA marshalling for
easy interopability with gnome apps ?

If none of the questions above can be answered with "yes" I don't see the
point converting to orbit just for the single point of being
buzzword-compliant. I'd rather fix libICE with cooperation of the X people
then.

For binary compatibility reasons we won't be able to do that before 3.0
anyway :-/

Dirk