On Mon, 26 M=E4r 2001, Matthias Ettrich wrote: > Given that MCOP is meant for multimedia and that we eventually will have = to=20 > or want to utilize ORBit anyway in the future for all kinds of desktop=20 > cooperation (accessability, session management (XSMP over ORBit rather th= an=20 > ICE), network directory services, ...), I'd like to evaluate porting DCOP= =20 > over to ORBit as underlying communication layer.=20 what advantages has orbit on the technical side over ICE ? I mean, does it= =20 use a faster way of interprocess communication than sockets / pipes ? does= =20 it use less memory ? will the dcopserver process be obsolete then and be=20 replaced by orbit ? Is orbit useable without having to use the CORBA marshalling ? will it be possible to easily integrate the qt <-> CORBA marshalling for=20 easy interopability with gnome apps ? If none of the questions above can be answered with "yes" I don't see the= =20 point converting to orbit just for the single point of being=20 buzzword-compliant. I'd rather fix libICE with cooperation of the X people= =20 then.=20 For binary compatibility reasons we won't be able to do that before 3.0=20 anyway :-/ Dirk