List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KAboutData(const KAboutData &)
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-25 18:38:39

On Sunday 25 March 2001 09:58 am, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:46:19AM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > Are there any arguments against me giving KAboutData a copy constructor?
>
> Then you should make all related classes completely value based
> (KAboutPerson, etc.) and also add an assignment operator, IMHO.
I disagree, this is relatively simple class, and absolute maximum speed is
required, since the hit is startup, and that's where KDE has the most speed
problems.

> > Each Noatun plugin will have a function capable of returning KAboutData,
> > where the framework will create the KAboutDialog from that.
>
> Usually there exists only one KAboutData object per instance, so what about
> retrieving a pointer to the plugin's KAboutData instead? (like it is done
> for kparts components for example)
>
> (of course making clear that the ownership remains with the plugin)
And the code would be significantly easier to write and maintain.  I don't
see how returning a pointer to the plugin's KAboutData is any different than
using the copy constructor, other than making the code simpler.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org>
K Desktop Environment