List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: User Interface.. If you ever wrote or will write a software GUI, then READ THIS!
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-09 5:31:19

On Thursday 08 March 2001 17:58, Christian A Strømmen [Number1/NumeroUno]
wrote:
> "Every time you provide an option, you're asking the user to make a
> decision. Asking the user to make a decision isn't in itself a bad thing.
> The problem comes when you ask them to make a choice that they don't care
> about."

This is becoming a problem in KDE. Not that we really ask users a lot of
things, but there are a lot of configuration options. Maybe we should make it
a rule that if you add a configuration option you should also write the user
documentation for it. If you have a hard time explaining in a single sentence
what the option does, it's probably a bad idea to add it.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com