List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Stupid question about acinclude.m4 in kdelibs
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-07 11:54:48

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > There should never be any -{I,L}/usr/{include,lib} argument to
> > compiling/linking commands.  Those directories are anyway searched by
> > default, if the relevant files are not found somewhere else.
>
> Well this is exactly what is not happening for me :(

Can't be ;) unless the compiler is broken.  I don't remember you posting
the failing command with error messages, so analyzing it is more difficult
than it should be (btw, I have also OpenSSL in /usr, so it _does_ work).

> > /usr/local/{lib,include} I'm not too sure.  I think it indeed is better to
> > _not_ have any specific XXX_INCLUDES variable point to /usr/local, but
> > instead, if /usr/local is needed anywhere, to add that with
> > --with-extra-{libs,includes}.  So, please use that flag.
>
> I am using that for now.

?? You mean, you use --with-extra-libs=/usr/lib ? Don't do that.

> But I sure would like to find out why /usr/include is not checked at
> all.  BTW, I had no problems when openSSL was under /usr/local and yes
> I did remove that before installing the one for the distro I use
> (Mandrake).

You of course also removed config.cache, did you?  If this doesn't (or
didn't) help, post the command and error messages.

Ciao,
Michael.