List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Stupid question about acinclude.m4 in kdelibs
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-07 10:58:56

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 07:19, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was away, to explain my quietness the last week.
>
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > Is the test below done on purpose ?
>
> There should never be any -{I,L}/usr/{include,lib} argument to
> compiling/linking commands.  Those directories are anyway searched by
> default, if the relevant files are not found somewhere else.

Well this is exactly what is not happening for me :(  For whatever reason
openSSL is correctly detected and found to be under /usr/include[lib], however
when the compiling gets to the kdelibs/kssl module, it simply fails to find a
header file under /usr/include/ and fails.  I had no such problems until the
time I posted the message :(

> OTOH if those dirs would be included in the user-specified search paths,
> they might override any choices (it often happens with /usr/include and
> /usr/local/include, where /usr/local should be preferred).  So, one part
> of the test of setting SSL_{INCLUDES,LIBS} is correct.  For
> /usr/local/{lib,include} I'm not too sure.  I think it indeed is better to
> _not_ have any specific XXX_INCLUDES variable point to /usr/local, but
> instead, if /usr/local is needed anywhere, to add that with
> --with-extra-{libs,includes}.  So, please use that flag.

I am using that for now.  But I sure would like to find out why /usr/include
is not checked at all.  BTW, I had no problems when openSSL was under
/usr/local and yes I did remove that before installing the one for the distro
I use (Mandrake).

Regards,
Dawit A.