List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: icon loading is slooooow
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-03 18:41:49

aleXXX wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I measured the time to create a lot of KActions all with different icons, and
> then the same all actions all with the same icon
> (KIllustratorView::createMyGUI() )
> creating the actions all with its own icons took approx. 1.3 seconds
> creating all with the same icon: 0.1 seconds
>
> (K6/200 128 MB)
>
> I don't know whether the time is spent in searching the icons or in reading
> the png's.
>
> Can we do something about it ?
Well, we could extend the system cache to contain something like a
binary cache
of the png without the compression. So you only need to check if there
is an icon
for killustrator and then can fall back to the system cache.
But you don't want to waste this extra space on a P4 I guess - I don't
know.

Greetings, Stephan

--
People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.