List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [otaylor@redhat.com: .desktop files and encodings]
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-01 12:04:31

Owen Taylor wrote:

> > I know. I said that KDE didn't support it at the moment.
>
> Ah, sorry, I misunderstood :-).
>
> Yes, you'll certainly want to fix that, since the choice of wording
> can differ significantly between, say, es_ES and es_MX.
We support es_MX as different language then. We do that for pt_BR for
example. KDE doesn't seem as popular in mexico though :)

> > All encoding considerations aside, KDE wouldn't do anything from a
> > Name[de_DE] entry, AFAIK. But I expect input from Stephan Kulow about this
> > (whether it's already supported, and whether we should add support for it).
> >
> > To conclude, I think that we can add Encoding=UTF-8 in KDE to help
> > with encoding-determination, but this whole encoding mess might not be
> > a good idea for the SPEC, especially since we all know that the future
> > is UTF-8.
>
> An alternate method of handling this would be to say that the
> Version field is mandatory, and that if the version is greater than
> 0.x.y, for some x, y, then the file is encoded in UTF-8, otherwise
> the encoding is undefined.
>
> However, I think this is worse than adding the Encoding field:
>
>  - It causes entanglement between the encoding problem and other
>    aspects of getting the spec adopted.
>
>  - The check is more obscure.
>
>  - It is just as much work to fix the .desktop files, since the KDE
>    files currently don't have the Version field either.

I think, adding Encoding=UTF-8 is good as then we can remove our check
for utf8 and can rely on it. The default should be utf8 then, so whatever
we do currently existant .desktop files break either in KDE or GNOME. But
better don't care about that and get it right for future releases of .desktop
files and both desktops.

Greetings, Stpehan

--
Teigwaren heissen Teigwaren, weil sie Teig waren * J. v. d. Lippe
MFCH