List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n / I18N_NOOP
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-28 22:37:12

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 22:25, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 February 2001 23:01, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not gonna answer all of your questions since I don't know many of
> > > i18n's details yet, but I have one remark:
> > >
> > > A 'Heading 1' template (or whatever you call it) may well be translated
> > > into 'Kop 1' in Dutch. So far so good. Duplicate styles are obviously
> > > disallowed, so a Dutch user can't create a 'Kop 1' template.
> > >
> > > An English user can, however, create a 'Kop 1' (custom!) style, and a
> > > Dutch user can create a 'Heading 1' style. Importing such styles in
> > > another language will cause severe name clashes and I don't think we want
> > > that.
> >
> > How likely is that? You have to a) choose a name having a different meaning
> > in another language b) choose that language later c) still work with the
> > same app
>
> I don't know what importing Word or StarOffice file files would give for
> example. It wouldn't surprise me as at least one of them stores templates in
> the installed locale and not English.
>
> And the different language problem is more likely to occur when you co-work
> with other people that may use another language setting (not that uncommon I
> may add from personal experience: Dutch and English Word are both used at my
> school)
>
> I agree though that it is not that likely that you actually choose a name
> that clashes (a), but (b) and (c) are still _very_ likely when working in a
> team. And assuming that such clashes are impossible may cause nasty bugs or
> usability problems, but maybe I'm just too worried ...

I'd like to point out that this is about translating the style name _in the UI_.
In the file, it will still be saved as "Head 1" etc.
The clashes when switching languages can happen, sure, but that's very
unlikely to happen (one would really have to do that on purpose IMHO).

But when importing/exporting with other office suites, they'll only see the
English style name.