List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Dot KDE Tutorial Series
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-02-28 23:25:03

As many of you will know, the Dot news site recently began publishing a series
of tutorials covering the various new facilities provided by KDE 2. The aim is
to create a large body of high quality documentation, that will help both new,
and existing developers make good use of the KDE framework.

One of the problems with increasing the facilities of kdelibs is that it is
often difficult for developers to know where to start. We have good reference
documentation, but we are lacking a corresponding body of tutorials (those we
have are good, we just don't have enough of them). To get an idea of what I
mean, you might find it useful to look at the Java Tutorial which addresses the
same issue for (you guessed it) Java. The comparison is particularly apt given
that the kdoc tool we use for the reference documenation is based on javadoc. I
don't think we need to be quite as rigidly structured as Sun has been in the
Java Tutorial, but we should have a similar spirit. You can find the Java
tutorial and the reference manual at http://java.sun.com/docs/

A number of developers have already agreed to write tutorials for the series,
but to do the job properly we need help, in fact to be blunt: we need YOUR
help. The developers on this list are by definition experts on KDE, and even a
brief tutorial on something you consider obvious could save a new developer
hours. If that's not enough incentive, then consider it an investment - think
how much time you could save if people stopped asking you things you think are
obvious!

If you are willing to help us (or just want to find one of the tutorials) then
take a look at http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/ where you
will find contact information, a page template and a list of topics that might
be suitable. Even if you don't think you're an expert then please take a look,
you might find something that catches your eye.

Rich. (on behalf of the dot site and developer.kde.org)
--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://developer.kde.org/	rich@kde.org