List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New KDE printing system
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-02-28 16:31:13

> A few questions:
>
> - Is it possible to implement filters so that you can implement
>   KDE equivalents of psnup and enscript?

I want to say "everything is virtually possible as long as you
implement it". What do you have in mind ? Where do you want those
filters to be ? The current implementation is this: the KPrinter uses
a QPrinter object internally to produce PS in a temporary file. Then it
sends it to the printer using the correct method. You can then imagine
to plug any filter you want to process the PS produced by Qt. In fact
the KPrinter class has a member "printFile" publicly available, which is
also used by the KPrinter object to send the PS generated. You can
imagine to make the filters occur at the beginning of this function to
filter the file. The filter object would then check if it can process the
file (enscript is not designed to process PS), then process it, otherwise
do nothing.

> - Is there any support for handling margins etc. so that people
>   using the API don't have to worry about them?

KPrinter uses internally QPrinter to produce PS. So you still have to
take care where on the page you are drawing.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM