List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New KDE printing system
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-02-28 16:36:20

Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 February 2001 17:06, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> > > I would love to be able to write
> > >
> > > KPrinter *printer = new KPrinter;
> > > <do stuff>
> > > delete printer;
> >
> > I'm afraid then that you have to overload the "new" operator or the
> > KPrinter class. The real job is done in subclasses, so the "new"
> > operator should not return a KPrinter object, but a KCupsPrinter,
> > KLpdPrinter, ... according to the user settings.
>
> It wouldn't be too difficult to have this :
>
> KPrinter *printer = new KPrinter(KPrinter::Cups);

That's exactly what the developer shouldn't have to do: having to
code the underlying printing system to use. This is the goal of the
whole library: hiding the real printing system to the developer, so
that he doesn't have to worry about it.

Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM