List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Expand KAction to allow different texts for toolbar/menu
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-02-20 0:49:31

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, aleXXX wrote:

> On Saturday 17 February 2001 12:05, David Faure wrote:
> > On Saturday 17 February 2001 10:55, Peter Putzer wrote:
> > > If I'm not mistaking, there is currently no way to use the same action
> > > both in a toolbar and a menubar with different labels.
> > >
> > > IMHO this could and should be rectified ASAP (and quite easily) by adding
> > > a new method "setIconText" (and the corresponding accessor method of
> > > course), with the new property defaulting to text().
> >
> > Isn't that the exact opposite of the Action concept ? Hmm. The action is
> > the same, it's the UI that differs a bit. Well, why not.
>
> I think having better desribing texts for the icon tooltips would not be that
> bad ... ;-)
> Having the same full description in the menu OTOH sucks.
> I think this is what Peter means ?

Actually, I meant the opposite. Well, sort of ;)

Take KCommandHistory for example, when no undo is possible the menu text
changes to "No Undo Possible" (which BTW is wrong IMNSHO, as the entry is
disabled in that case anyway). This looks really shitty in a toolbar.

OTOH I could imagine having a more descriptive text for the icons
(although that takes tends to take too much space) in some cases... most
of the time a tooltip would be better though.

I have got a preliminary patch, but there's a bug to be ironed out, so
I'll wait till it's ok here before I post the patch to the list...

regards,
Peter