List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QIconView speed question
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-08 22:50:56

On Thursday 08 February 2001 06:23 am, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> On Thursday 08 February 2001 03:02, mosfet wrote:
...snip...

> > It appears QIconView repaints or does layout calculation whenever
> > inserting items even if they are not visible. Is there an easy way to fix
> > this? I don't mind requiring users to wait until all items are inserted
> > if it's going to be so much faster when entering a directory...
>
> Well, I do some optimization using a timer to delay the re-layouting and
> updating of the iconview while inserting. Could it be that you call
> processEvents() or something like that while inserting items?

Doh! Yes, I do - in order to update the progress bar ;-) I'll look into this
(I remember it being noted in the docs, I think it's slotUpdate()). Actually,
I think it may be better to totally delay processing until all items are
inserted... While the user won't be able to see the directory being loaded it
*soo* much faster - esp. with a couple thousand items :) A status bar should
be sufficent.