List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Next release (Re: Why isn't there a KDE2 Beta 2 announcement?)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-06 1:39:29

On Wednesday 31 January 2001 20:59, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > > I just talked with Torsten on IRC and he quite convinced me that this
> > > html-eye- candy thing can indeed bring up a real wow!-effect (the mails
> > > on core-devel a day after tackat comitted the stuff were quite
> > > self-explaining) . I support the idea of spreading this html-candy thing
> > > to more places (where it makes sense) , so I agree with Torsten,
> > > eMatthias and Martijn for a 5 day delay. (provided that it doesn't affect
> > > the codebase in a bad manner and that it gives the translators and
> > > documentators a bit more time to polish up things)
>
> > Isn't this html stuff related to new texts? I think it does.
>
> For the helppages it isn't and for KMail it probably isn't either (at least
> the text won't change for the latter).

I don't understand this. KMail doesn't have an about page yet (right ?),
so adding one certainly introduces many things to translate, which certainly
goes against the idea of a message freeze.

Do I get it right that some of you here want to delay the release just to
add some eye-candy to KMail ?? Yes, ok, eye-candy is nice, but
seriously, KDE has always been mainly about usefulness. What I'm saying
is, go ahead and add it, but either before the planned release date if the
translators agree, or after it if they don't. I'm happy to delay the schedule
if there is a good reason for it (i.e. critical bug, API issue...), but up to
now I haven't seen the mention of anything of that sort.

KDE 2.1, as it is already, brings a LOT of improvements over 2.0. The more
we delay it, the more we deprive our users from a great environment :)

Keep in mind that no software is ever perfect. What will happen after 2.1 ?
Well, we'll keep improving and bugfixing it - and adding eye-candy,
and documenting, and translating it, as usual :-)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/