List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Taskbar and panel broken stuff
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2001-01-30 12:18:41

On Monday 29 January 2001 15:55, mosfet wrote:
> > > The taskbar is using QStyle::drawPanel instead. We should mark
> > > KStyle::drawkickerTaskButton obsolete.
> >
> > Why? We need that if we want themes to be able to theme the taskbar... At
> > the least you should use drawBevelButton and not drawPanel, but having a
> > routine specifically for the taskbar buttons is nice and I don't see any
> > justification to remove it. Why make themes and styles less flexible?
>
> Any answer to this? If not I'm going to switch it back to being

Sorry, I'm back from a weekend trip, here is your answer.

> themeable... it's only one line. You have no idea how crappy it looks to
> have a Aqua themed panel with ugly non-pixmapped rectangular task buttons
> that don't match the rest of the UI. I'm actually curious about why you
> thought it was obselete - it's certainly not and is being used by several

I prefer consistency over themeability.

> styles. As a matter of fact, once KDE III gets started I'm thinking of
> adding new routines for the Pager buttons and the Desktop menu.

Please don't.

> Everything default in the UI needs to be themeable.

No.

> As a side note - drawPanel is wrong because this is used to draw a lot of
> other things in the UI (like the pages of tabs) that certainly shouldn't
> look like a task button, and drawBevelButton is wrong because it's also
> used to draw things like headers and I could see why people (including me
> ;-) would like the two to look different. This is why I added the proper
> routine months ago ;-)

Why should the taskbuttons not look like panels? IMHO it makes them look very
clean and polished. Is there any rule I'm not aware off that task buttons
should not look like panels? Maybe you are the one who really knows how task
buttons should look, but maybe it's just a matter of taste.

Ciao,
Matthias

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million keyboards
for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare would be