List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Taskbar and panel broken stuff
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-01-29 14:55:58

On Saturday 27 January 2001 12:30 pm, mosfet wrote:
> On Saturday 27 January 2001 02:59 am, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > On Friday 26 January 2001 03:14, mosfet wrote:
> > > Okay, I updated because I'm doing some style stuff and noticed some
> > > massive taskbar and panel breakage:
> > >
> > > 1) The taskbar no longer uses the proper KStyle routine -
> > > drawKickerTaskButton. This breaks several styles, including highcolor.
> >
> > The taskbar is using QStyle::drawPanel instead. We should mark
> > KStyle::drawkickerTaskButton obsolete.
>
> Why? We need that if we want themes to be able to theme the taskbar... At
> the least you should use drawBevelButton and not drawPanel, but having a
> routine specifically for the taskbar buttons is nice and I don't see any
> justification to remove it. Why make themes and styles less flexible?

Any answer to this? If not I'm going to switch it back to being themeable...
it's only one line. You have no idea how crappy it looks to have a Aqua
themed panel with ugly non-pixmapped rectangular task buttons that don't
match the rest of the UI. I'm actually curious about why you thought it was
obselete - it's certainly not and is being used by several styles. As a
matter of fact, once KDE III gets started I'm thinking of adding new routines
for the Pager buttons and the Desktop menu. Everything default in the UI
needs to be themeable.

As a side note - drawPanel is wrong because this is used to draw a lot of
other things in the UI (like the pages of tabs) that certainly shouldn't look
like a task button, and drawBevelButton is wrong because it's also used to
draw things like headers and I could see why people (including me ;-) would
like the two to look different. This is why I added the proper routine months
ago ;-)